Software is provided by WDC-MARE to visualize data from oceanographic research in maps or in diagrams.
- PanMap is an easy-to-use GIS (Geographical Information System) to plot points or vectors in maps. Various geographical resources are available in PanMap layer-format. The freeware is available from the PANGAEA web server (doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.104840).
Sample from surface sediments in the Baltic sea with different types of grain size analysis after Kolb and Koehn, published by Harff et al. 1997, e.g. doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.51747
Distribution of the clay mineral chlorite in surface sediment samples from the Atlantic compiled from Biscaye (1964) and Petschick et al. (1996) doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.55955
- PanPlot will plot data versus space or time; up to 250 parameter can be visualized. Import data files should be formated as tab-delimited ASCII-tables. See the software page of the PANGAEA web server for details and download (doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.330147).
Grafic of five sediment profiles with different parameters in various resolutions, retrieved and compiled with the information system Pangaea, converted with Pan2Applic and plotted with PanPlot.
- The tool Pan2Applic may be used to convert files or folders of files downloaded from the information system PANGAEA to the import format of other applications, e.g. PanMap, ODV or shape file (doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.288115).
Other useful software for marine research is listed below.
- Ocean Data View (ODV) is a software package for the exploration and visualization of oceanographic data (Reiner Schlitzer).
Color sections along arbitrary cruise tracks
- Ocean Sneaker's Tool (OST) was written to generate table organized-ASCII data files and to display them on windows systems (Jan Schulz).
- Cologne Radiocarbon Calibration & Palaeoclimate Research Package (CalPal) is a Radiocarbon Calibration Program (Bernhard Weninger).
- C2 is a Win 95/98/NT/2000/XP program for analysing and visualising palaeoenvironmental data (Steve Juggins).